Saturday, May 7, 2016

This Blog Is Brought To You By...

Some crazy troll accused me of "scamming" people with my blog. He also accused me of, what was it? "...tricking people into donating to [my] scam". While I generally let trolls be trolls and let them peacefully reside under bridges, I want to make a few points.

This blog. Do you see any ads on it? You better not, because I specifically set it up to not have any, and if you are seeing ads on this site, please shoot me a comment and tell me immediately and I will send the proper inquiries. Do you see a donation button? Then you are not on my blog and may be a victim of a phishing scam. Leave this page at once, and go to https://csaprimaryprevention.blogspot.com.

I set this blog up for several reasons:

  • Journaling
    • I enjoy writing down my thoughts. It helps me think better, and stay sane.
  • Resources
    • I want to make sure that other people have access to the resources I had no idea existed.
    • I want to make sure that pedophiles know they are not alone, and that they have places to go to for help if they need it.
  • Advocating
    • Primary prevention is not nearly as represented by advocacy/prevention organizations as tertiary prevention, which relies on children to be abused before it becomes prevention.
    • Many people are misinformed or uneducated about who/what causes child sexual abuse.
    • Many people are unwilling to discuss or think about these subjects. 
  • Discussion
    • I suppose this falls in line with other stuff, but I want to generate conversation on these topics. 
    • I want to be controversial.
    • If people are talking about it, thinking about it, challenging myths and stereotypes, and thinking critically, then more people know the facts about abuse and can respond accordingly.
For a very brief period of time, I thought about forming a non-profit or starting some kind of organization. I rejected that idea for several reasons:
  • Money
    • Money is not the point of this, and I was afraid that starting anything more formal than me, this blog, and Twitter would change my motivations for doing this.
    • I do not want your money. 
    • Seriously, keep your money.
    • Better yet, go buy leaflets and copy-paste some of the information about child sexual abuse, and go hand it to people.
    • Donate to Stop It Now if you want to throw money at the problem of child sexual abuse. 
  • Time
    • My time is limited, and there is only so much I can do.
    • If I spend too much time on all this, I will lose whatever sanity I have left.
  • Accuracy
    • I suppose this is a control issue, but I want to make sure that the facts and ideas I support are based in reality, not the hype-driven madness that has landed the United States and other countries with laws that waste time and money being ineffective at keeping children safe.
  • Safety
    • I need to ensure that my efforts do not negatively affect my victim or his family, or impact my own family and friends.
    • I need to ensure that I remain safe from crazy people that might conveniently take stuff I say out of context.
  • Critical Thinking
    • I am not an expert and I will not have you treating me like one. 
    • I cite sources for facts, generally speaking.
    • I am not going to tell you what to think (except I just did).
If there was a point in there somewhere, I am not quite sure what it was. But I hope that answered some of your questions and concerns about this blog and why it exists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to ensure a safe environment to discuss the issues and difficult content in this blog.